Sunday, October 14, 2018

When Something (More) Wicked This Way Comes

I'm never sure which came first, Halloween or New England. Living in Southeastern Connecticut we are transitioning, too rapidly for my taste, from one season to the next and as is too often the case Autumn tends to have enough rain and wind to reduce the leaf-peeping opportunities to mostly "you should've been here two days ago."



This weekend's weather has had a lot of bluster and moisture so that out on a walk yesterday I spent most of my time admiring the leaves on the walkways as opposed to on the trees because they had been blown down and around and were now turning the footing treacherous. Not a fan.


And Autumn also comes with setting back the clocks so that at least to me the daylight feels shorter. For the life of me, after six and a half plus decades around here, I cannot grasp the whole forward and backwards thing we do with clocks. Perhaps we're channeling The Chambers Brothers. Perhaps Not. 


People are decorating for Halloween, not that I indulge. Our kids outgrew the holiday long ago but yeah, I still buy all the Halloween candy (why are "fun-size" bars and bags smaller than regular size? What's the fun of that?) and then on Halloween evening, I turn off all the outside lights and it myself. If Tim Burton could see me now, he wouldn't.   
-bill kenny  

No comments:

Short, Sweet, and Sad

Not gonna lie. I missed it and I'll bet you missed it, too.  I'm talking about the recently concluded Texas Sandfest .  As a kid who...