Saturday, November 12, 2011

Nittany Lyin'

Veterans Day yesterday confused me as the afternoon turned into the early evening (and not because I have a tendency to sundown) because it felt a little like a Saturday. It was brisk in these parts yesterday, and all of my parts were cold as a result, and I stretched out on my Lennon love seat, as I call it (about the size and style of John Lennon's favorite couch), so that my feet hang over as I watch TV.

Shortly after four when I turned it on and Ellen DeGeneres was dancing up the center aisle of the studio bleachers with her audience (I think that's what the kids call it) and that's when I realized I wasn't going to watch any college football in the afternoon because it was Friday, vice the day before Sunday.

Speaking of football and vice (you saw that coming, didn't you; I guess I'm slowing down), unless you've been stuck in an elevator with Kris Humphries, you're familiar with Jerry Sandusky, Penn State University, the firing of Joe Paterno and the Million Moron March at State College that ensued in light of the synergy among the first three items.

My alma mater regularly got the snot stomped out it by JoPa's charges. The Nittany Lions humiliated the Scarlet Knights for what felt like forever, but that has nothing to do with my anger at puerile football fooligans who think an eighty four year old man who chose deliberately and with calculation to not know information that was his responsibility to know, was somehow the (not a) victim, which meant the pedophile on his staff and on his program's payroll, destroying dozens of lives in a decade and a half was no more than part of the overhead of so-called big-time college football.

Don't even think of scrolling down to the bottom of this page to 'tell this a-hole off'. I will have none of that. Instead read this, especially, "Victim 2" starting on page 6. You will be physically sickened by what a graduate student watched a grown man do to a child, I guarantee it. And then when you drop me a line to counsel mercy and forgiveness, make sure to explain to me why the football game today against Nebraska should have never been played, but rather forfeited. Very much like any opportunity for happiness that every one of Sandusky's victims had happen to them. And then we'll talk about the campus riot, but not for very long, I suspect.

Am I calling for collective responsibility and accountability by everyone who wears the Blue and White and screams "We Are Penn State" on autumn Saturday afternoons? You bet your ass I am and speaking of ass, if you don't agree with me, you are one.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Now and Zen

Our local supermarket, feeling the competitive pressure no doubt of an Arkansas retail chain in a business where profit margins often disapp...