Friday, April 11, 2014

Sugar, Sugar

I never lived in Riverdale or knew anyone named Reggie or Jughead and certainly didn't know girls as yummy as Veronica or Betty but thanks to Archie comics and for the price of one thin dime (at least at some point in my growing up) I could hang with all of them.

I was born in the Fifties and Archie was a comic book that seemed old timey even to me as a kid. I probably hadn't thought about it in at least four decades until walking down the hallway of my office building (they haven't gotten around to renaming it for me yet but all in due course) when someone played (from their computer I guess) this Moldy Oldie.

Someday I'll dazzle you with my artwork as I draw a line that connects Don Kirchner with Andy Kim to The Monkees and intersects with Jack Nicholson all the way to Milli Vanelli, but my crayon is still in the shop so that will have to wait for another time.

Cannot pretend to regret forgetting the cartoon band responsible for this earworm, but can't help wonder about fate and coincidence. I hadn't even yet told my wife my Everything's Archie story when I came across a very disturbing item on CNN, taking a break (no doubt) from interviewing psychic children who are helping search for missing airplanes.

I'd be even snarkier but this story is very strange-both in its subject and its treatment. Do you also detect a slight bit of pressure? Perhaps a tongue being applied to a cheek? Could this be the comic book version of A Mighty Wind meets This Is Spinal Tap?

I'm not sure if we're stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again but I do know this, Walter, my beautiful friend, this is The End.
-bill kenny

No comments:

B-B-Back in M-M-My D-D-Day

On New Year's Day, 1966, London Records (their USA record company) unveiled a billboard for the next Rolling Stones album, December'...