Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Resurgence of The Dynamic Duos

I suppose I should start by conceding that I understand why there is an office of Vice President-what if we don't have an empty pitcher handy? (and I never knew that there'd been a switcheroo on that old expression-learn something new every day.) Here's a nifty little factoid: "unlike the two-election limit imposed on the Presidency by the Twenty-second Amendment to the United States Constitution, there is no restriction of the number of terms a person can serve as Vice President."

Don't even try to pretend you don't know where I'm heading-keep your windows rolled up and your hands inside the ride, we're actually already there. The only vice presidents I can recall are the ones who succeeded Presidents who died in office... Johnson (two different ones. One for Lincoln and the other, for Kennedy), Arthur for Garfield (James, and not the pizza loving cat), Roosevelt (the Rough Rider) for McKinley and Truman (Harry not the Jim Carrey movie) for Roosevelt (not that one, the Warm Springs, GA, visitor).

And now we're looking at a choice of major party candidacies of Obama/Biden and McCain/Palin. Michael? I asked hopefully last week when the news was first announced. No, I was told, as my plans for a trapeze in the White House as part of The Flying Circus were dashed into a bajillion pieces.

I hate to be snarky, but when I think of dynamic duos, I start with Batman and Robin, and the Green Lantern and Kato. Yes, I agree that Sonny and Cher and Peaches and Herb are both probably as well-known. Any discussion of duos would have to include Laurel and Hardy as well as Bud and Lou.

How can we overlook Mike and the Mad Dog (and I tried, believe me I did) or, one of my sentimental favorites, Nichols and May? As I understand the US Constitution, neither Sacco nor Vanzetti are eligible for election to either the Presidency or the Vice Presidency (though I can see where Jason Giambi got the inspiration for the 'stash). With all due respect to a well-known runner, I've always been partial to bacon and eggs for breakfast and soup and salad at lunch.

I suppose I should be grateful Dan Quayle and Spiro Agnew never met, but that would make me sound like a real Cheney, wouldn't it?
-bill kenny

No comments:

A Childhood Memory

As a child at Saint Peter's (sic) School in New Brunswick, New Jersey, it was forcibly impressed upon us by the Sisters of Charity whose...