Tuesday, May 27, 2014

And Now that the Parades Have Ended

I think I would find the Duffel Blog funny if I had never been in the military, and as a broadcaster in the US Air Force I'm about as close to never having been in the military as you can get without still being required to get the 'tapered not a DA' haircut and have the ugly black lace-up shoes.

When I saw this yesterday afternoon, I winced while grinning so grinced (I guess). While reading the papers at the breakfast table on Memorial Day I was a little cranked at the the number of places having sales like maybe we had military members sacrifice their lives at Normandy, Khandahar, or a hundred other places so you and I could enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of a BOGO at Payless. Not.

I think Senator Bernie Sanders, Vermont Independent, had the best suggestion on how to honor service members on Memorial Day-be more judicious in how you choose to send them off to the next war. There's nobody on either side of the aisle for whom that doesn't sting (I'd say 'smart' but they aren't and insulting those whom we've chosen to send to DC isn't going do it either).

I found a graphic yesterday that wiped the snark out of my mouth and the smirk right off my face.


I'd hope that between today, the day after Memorial Day and Tuesday, November 11, which is Veterans Day we could all make one effort to make this a little less true because if each of us did something, then all of us could do everything to make this past tense.

And between the living and the dead, we'd honor all of those who bear the burden so many of us find inconvenient by actually living in a way that proves we are worth what they sacrificed for us.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Art for Art's Sake

The purpose of art is to conceal art.   This is called "The Invisibility of Poverty" created by Kevin Lee. -bill kenny