Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Daze of Future Passed....

Nothing like the present to make you readdress and reassess the past. I've kept a wary eye on Florida ever since the 2000 election with Chad, hold the Jeremy, and the joys of hanging, out and otherwise. Sort of like a one-eyed cat peeping in a seafood store, if you follow my electoral college varsity sweater, daddy-o.

We're heading towards Memorial Day, Flag Day, and Independence Day (in chronological order) and I find myself studying the signatures on the Declaration of Independence and marveling at the mass of civic courage and just plain smarts so many of those signatories had.

We could have chosen any of dozens of Revolutionary War leaders as President of these United States and been well-served. And here we are almost 238 years later and a walk through the 2016 Presidential Talent Pool doesn't seem to even come to most people's ankles.

And who's offering to be David Hasselhoff as we recast Baywatch? This guy. I can see him in the red baggies now, silver whistle banging on his chest as he slow-mo runs down the newly created beach in Gainesville where the ocean is suddenly.  Another believer in the gunmen on the grassy knoll creating bad weather-I love folks like this.

My entire involvement with science in school, all of my schooling, was a plaster of Paris volcano and knucklehead that I am, I grasp the nature of causality between human activity and changes in our environment. Suspect Marco won't tap me for Veep, though he won't be spoiled for choice from what I can see.

The transcript from the ABC interview is only disquieting if you had hoped for something more than what we've been getting at the national level of our political culture for (I'd suggest) far more than a decade and closer to a generation. More speaking at one another rather than to each other.

Do you think less of me when I tell you I am nevertheless surprised? And still I keep looking at those faded signatures on that distant document which seem to grow larger but still harder to read with every passing election.
-bill kenny

No comments:

A Quarter of a Century On...

Maybe it's a phenomenon of age and the aging process but I'm always surprised to discover something I think of as 'not that long...