Friday, August 15, 2014

Mystery Achievement

The platform that enables me to write this screed every day shared with me as one of its functions when I began this time around, that this is exactly the 2,500th  entry. Sometimes my need to tell you will exceed your need to care. This is in all likelihood one of those moments. And we’ll always have Paris.

I started this as an attempt to sort out my relationship, physically and perhaps philosophically, with what I regard as my universe (you might be tempted to call it something far less elegant and more succinct, but reasonable people should be able to agree to disagree) and by now could easily serve as an exhibit or more at an involuntary commitment hearing.

I think that’s progress; your mileage may vary. Truth to tell, I have no idea how much of the ride you have been along for and I may well be better off not knowing. I had someone who has a professional interest in these words ask me to explain to him one time what motivated me to offer drive-by observations on the world at large seemingly undeterred by an absence of information on the subject about which I am writing.

I assured him that I’ve never allowed a lack of facts to hinder the formulation of an opinion and, like so many with whom I seem to come into daily contact, once my mind is made up there’s no point in confusing me with facts. His reaction led me to conclude my effort at explanation had fallen well short of the mark, and David, too.

Actually, I know why I write this (because I have to) but have no idea why you choose to stop by. I’m grateful you do since being the sound of one hand clapping gets real old real fast (and well before hitting 2,500 entries on the blogodometer). If you don’t like it, I’m assuming you’ve clicked and moved on and (much like during my radio days) I have no idea you and Elvis have left the building.

Maybe I could offer a prize, though aside from no longer actually posting the entries I write I suspect there’s no offering to entice you to stick around. Tell you what:  if, after the next 2,500 you still don’t like this stuff, I’ll help you get your money back from that Literacy Volunteer.

-bill kenny

No comments:

B-B-Back in M-M-My D-D-Day

On New Year's Day, 1966, London Records (their USA record company) unveiled a billboard for the next Rolling Stones album, December'...