Saturday, October 8, 2016

Jokers to the Right

Calm down. The title is not a signal that this is a well-deserved jeremiad at the address of one of the two major US political parties and their nominee for the Presidency. Really, it's not. Though I have to be honest with you, having just read that opening sentence again I sort of wonder why the heck not? And why only one party?

The title is an attempted complement to my concern about all the national news stories about clowns. And it is that very real concern about which I had intended to write today but as the days dwindle down and even the cynics among us who cannot believe how low we seem to stoop every four years are gob-smacked by the diminution of acceptable choices this time around, it's impossible to ignore the Bonfire of the Vanities happening across every media platform masquerading as the final month of Decision 2016 which begins today.

On my way in here to write this morning, I passed a lot of brightly colored, itty-bitty cars, doors open, tops down and engines still warm so I imagine most of their two-legged contents complete with their seltzer bottles, balloon animals, wild hair and big feet are entangling the area even as I type. If only this time we could have had some actual professionals....


"Well, I don't know why I came here tonight. I got a feeling that something ain't right. I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair and I'm wondering how I'll get down those stairs. Clowns to THE left of me, jokers to the right, here am I stuck in the middle with you."
-bill kenny


 

No comments:

A Childhood Memory

As a child at Saint Peter's (sic) School in New Brunswick, New Jersey, it was forcibly impressed upon us by the Sisters of Charity whose...