Thursday, November 30, 2017

These Twisted Games We Play

Somewhere on the interwebz I saw not that long ago an exhortation to “Everyday do something that scares you a little bit.”  I am intrigued by the idea if not the execution of it at both the personal and societal level.

For reasons that would tell you a LOT more about me than I might like and WAY more than you would ever desire, I am exceptionally risk-adverse in all manner of endeavors from choosing to change or not to change jobs, all the way down what tie to wear with which shirt. It’s not the decision-making so much that frightens me as the incessant murmuring of the voices that second-guess every step of the process.

And to varying degrees, I think that’s true for a large number of us. That whole ‘the pool ain’t in but the patio’s dry’ mentality that instinctively looks first at what we might lose as opposed to focusing on what we could win.

All these millennia of evolution on and we still wonder about the footfalls we hear from journeys never started and long wistfully for destinations never arrived at.


-bill kenny  

No comments:

A Quarter of a Century On...

Maybe it's a phenomenon of age and the aging process but I'm always surprised to discover something I think of as 'not that long...