Saturday, January 13, 2018

New Colossus



"Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”


My dismay as a card-carrying SJW and snowflake is that a very large number (into the millions and tens of millions) of my fellow citizens and voters went 'hell yeah!' when Mr. Trump threw his invective-hurling temper tantrum because THIS is exactly how they feel. 

I'm not sure how we have become the country that we are and I am at a loss on how we can talk ourselves off the ledge we have insisted, on venturing farther and farther out onto. I do know we need to find a way to build bridges rather than walls or we shall perish as fools who destroyed the greatest idea this species ever had.


"Oh, we come on the ship they call the Mayflower
We come on the ship that sailed the moon
We come in the age’s most uncertain hour
-bill kenny
   


No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...