Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Taking Stock

I will return to work for the first time this year tomorrow morning. I will have been off for three weeks as that happens which is the longest amount of time I've NOT been at work for decades. I don't know whether I should applaud or be appalled by that factoid. 

This was a really nice break for me and I can only imagine how much nicer it was for the people with whom I work who didn't have to see/put up with me on a daily basis. I am, as so many around me incessantly point out, an acquired taste (and by extension, not for everyone). In less than six months time (I'm practicing typing that) I will no longer work, despite having done so in some form very nearly every day for over half a century.
      
So, I'm a little morose and feel sorry for myself.  I'd apologize but once that started, I'd be at it forever so I'll just blurt type this and you can move on as if you'd read it and neither of us will ever speak of this again, okay? Deal.

There are so many things in this life I will never get done or get to do (those pony rides for my birthday come to mind), but I've accepted that when it's my time to die, I will miss my wife and children with my last breath and everything else will be, well, just everything else

I'm not looking forward to playing checkers until I pass away, but aside from serving as a visual aid in support of the argument for the road to not take, I have a frighteningly finite skill set and too many miles left on the journey before me.  
-bill kenny   

No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...