Saturday, May 4, 2019

Some Idle (Not Eric) Musings

While out walking the other day when the rain seemed to be broken for the moment (and wasn't falling) I was on a side street near our house and passed a gun barrel grey Sebring with a sticker on the rear seat left passenger window, in the corner, that read 'my cat is one in a million'. 

As I walked past the car, light reflecting off the windows shifted and I could see what looked like prints from a small nose, some smears possibly from a tongue and could also make out paw prints all right around the decal. Perhaps it was the cat who decided that it pays to advertise. Actually, I'm wondering if the person who drives the car even realizes what their cat is up to in the back seat. 

You never see cats stick their heads out the window of a moving car, only dogs. I've never understood why dogs do but cats don't but in the spirit of you should learn something new every day (even if it's only to avoid this space on the Interwebz), here's an answer for you even if you'd never asked a question. You're welcome and it's part of the service.


In a related, though I'm not sure to what, development, here's an ancient news story about a woman entrepreneur (kind of)  who was charged with stealing people's pets and selling them to others. I worked on that previous sentence for a bit to no avail-it's the story, not the words that are goofy. I wonder what house pets make of all that 'this is my dog and that's my fish' rigmarole. I guess as long as you can build a fire, you're at the top of the species.

I watched a family of geese, we call them Canadian Geese around here though I don't know what Canadians call them, eating grass-I mean chowing down on the grass. Pate as cows, amazing-but if we could breed cows that laid eggs and gave milk, so much for goose liver (or Goose Gossage, for that matter). 


I mention the grass eating because early mornings just up the street from our house is Chelsea Parade or as many locals call it Historic Chelsea Parade near where after the NFA students who drive to class and park their cars all over my street are through cutting across  on their way to the campus, flocks (herds? swarms? somethings) of geese descend and eat for hours and hours which keeps the grass on the Chelsea Parade very low and makes walking barefoot in that grass thanks to all the geese pooping willy-nilly everywhere much more of an adventure than anyone could imagine  (your mouth smiles as you say willy-nilly aloud, you cannot help it). 

I suspect if we just paved over the parade, the geese would go someplace else and it would allow the NFA students to park their cars even closer to the campus meaning more space for cars with cat decals. Of course, then we'd have to worry about hairballs.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Ruminating about Roosevelt

I have some random and not especially original observations before Monday night’s Second Public Hearing on the City Budget.  Theodore Roosev...