Thursday, May 9, 2019

We Need the Wood

Out driving the other day I found myself behind someone with a bumper sticker that you just know has a HUGE story behind it. I've sort of seen the first part before, "My Dog is Smarter than Your Honor Student" but it was the second part, "My God Can Beat Up Your God" that leads me to wonder just how deep some still waters run.

I long ago abandoned in despair the faith of my fathers so there really is no upside to the hereafter for me and I can appreciate the humor of having painted myself into a corner. I'm just never happy about having to sign the painting.

I'd like to think so many different cultures around the world have embraced the idea of a deity because the ideal represents a unification of values and belief systems that, no matter the flavor or brand, have more in common sometimes than those who practice them. But worship as a WWE or maybe better, as a UFC, event? Priceless.

I've grown old watching us shift from the belief that we were created in God's image and likeness to vice versa, which scares me far more than I care to admit. Probably not my place to wonder, but if there are End Times, and they do arrive, and if all that which is prophesied does indeed come to pass, who among us is going to stand before the angels and Archangels, Cherubim and Seraphim, the Thrones and Dominations, and explain to God, whatever you perceive Her/Him to be, exactly what the heck we've been doing down here. 

That should be a hoot.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Ruminating about Roosevelt

I have some random and not especially original observations before Monday night’s Second Public Hearing on the City Budget.  Theodore Roosev...