Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Chill and Creep Begin Again

Just the other day on my way out in the morning, I had to double-back and grab a light jacket out of our hallway closet. Separately and yet simultaneously, my perception of summer's end and the date on the calendar aligned perfectly. Cannot claim to be too happy about that.

Make no mistake, here in Southern New England, we have all four seasons, sometimes it seems on the same day but we have an opportunity to enjoy all that nature has to offer, even if, like me, we're not especially fond of that amount of choice.

If you're an outdoors (wo)man who enjoys skiing, sledding or ice-skating and burying people you dislike alive in avalanches, don't be too upset if I tell you that Winter is not my time of year. But, in fairness, neither is Autumn despite the crispness of the air, the colors of the sky and the riotous shades of leaves in the trees.

I know how the movie ends and when Winter finally brings the curtain down, I am not as happy to be in the theater as I might have hoped. Does that mean I'm one of those who starts to fret after we've had the summer equinox and slowly and inexorably the days' light does a sleight of hand as it slowly decreases?

Afraid so. I leave you to count the silver linings; I am on the look-out for dark clouds and it always seems to be a target-rich environment. Thus, the wearing of a light jacket is the soft tread of the inevitable footfall of the changing of the season. Soon, my mood will match the evening sky after the sun has gone to bed.
-bill kenny

No comments:

A Quarter of a Century On...

Maybe it's a phenomenon of age and the aging process but I'm always surprised to discover something I think of as 'not that long...