Sunday, October 29, 2017

All My Designs, Simplfied

I've done a reasonable amount of reading about dreams. In a way, that's only fair since I traded so many of my own for a pocketful of mumbles, such are promises. When people speak about the return on investment in such transactions I have nothing of any value to offer. Perhaps that's my superpower?

Anyway. I had a dream the other night that was both so vivid it was hard to not believe it was real while also simultaneously being so beyond anything I've ever done, or could ever do, that I knew I had to be dreaming.  

I was snow-skiing with Der Grosse Patrick, DGP, someone I had worked with in Germany another lifetime (for both of us) ago, whom our son, Patrick, named because he was so taken by encountering someone with "his" name. We were also with someone I only know through Facebook though in the dream, DGP, spoke with her as if he, too, knew her. 

I haven't snow skied since I was sixteen. I'm pretty sure DGP still cross-country skies but I have no idea if the FB friend skies or not. I do know because she's mentioned it, that she is tall and in the dream, her height (and my lack of same) had a great deal to do with the success in digging out of an avalanche that we were in though how that happened I have no idea. 



I am, now fully awake, presuming we were in Germany skiing perhaps in the Alps based on nothing I can put my finger on but then I have to also note DGP and I never was involved in any stories happening in the Alps. I do remember trying to read road signs in the dream; and aside from "remembering" they weren't in English, I couldn't tell you what language they were in. 

Dreams, I've read, last for seconds though they often feel longer, much longer, to the dreamer and that was certainly the case in this instance. I spent most of the dream wondering when I would wake up and not understanding how everything that was happening in the dream could be happening at all. 

I'm not very good at remembering my dreams, happy or sad, so I'm also mulling over why it is that I so keenly recall this dream and wondering if my worries about the point of the dream are misplaced and that perhaps I should worry about why I am remembering as much of it as I am, assuming my memories aren't also a part of the dream.
-bill kenny             

No comments:

Pack Your Own Chute

I have been pretty much a homebody since retirement six years ago. Sue me. I like to sleep in my own bed. That doesn't mean I'm aver...