Friday, October 6, 2017

Head Start

I have errands to run today so I took a  day of vacation (actually I can take vacation in hourly increments, which, even after all these years I find astonishing and pretty cool) which works out pretty well for me as Monday is the Columbus Day holiday, even for those who are a little ashamed that we still celebrate it (I’m not technically in that number but I also understand how and why people who do feel that way should be encouraged to feel that way; Christofo is a man who inspires passions on all sides).

I always tell myself I should catch up on my sleep on a day off as if I worked in a bank and could just make small deposits against a large withdrawal later in the week. I’ve tried that so many times over the decades I’ve lost track and so far (in 65+ years) it hasn’t actually worked out though, technically this could be the weekend where the planets align and the moon is in the Seventh House (which it found on Air B’n’B) and peace will guide our planet.

In light of how the week started, that wouldn’t be a minute too soon as far as I’m concerned.  Summer, which ended on the calendar two weeks ago and then disappeared from the region a couple of days later, has returned, at least the heat and humidity part has but I’m thinking we’re living through the last hurrah of sorts before autumn arrives in earnest.

I’ve mentioned before that I hate autumn and I must always add that it’s not autumn’s fault. I will concede that I do love the crisp snap in the air and the palette of shifting colors on the trees but it’s the ‘what comes next part’ of autumn that has forever soured me. We could skip winter, as a concept, a season or a state of mind and I would shed not one tear.

And if you were looking forward to ice skates or snowshoes for Christmas, I hope instead you get an airline ticket so you can fly to someplace that has cold and snow and leave the rest of us around here alone to look forward to Spring and beyond. Which seems to me like a pretty good project for this day off I’ve given myself. It ain’t a pony ride by any means but it’ll do. Giddyup.
-bill kenny          

No comments:

Pack Your Own Chute

I have been pretty much a homebody since retirement six years ago. Sue me. I like to sleep in my own bed. That doesn't mean I'm aver...