Saturday, October 28, 2017

Silent or Silly

We are a voluble species, speaking not just for myself (who is a motormouth) but for those of a more taciturn disposition. This past week I ended up in my primary care physician's office for what proved to be a respiratory infection.

Summoned from the waiting room, walking down the hall to the examining room, the assistant asked me how I was. I tried to explain I never know how to answer that. So often, too many of us say 'fine,' but what if that response is held against us later in the examination? 

I have a movie in my head where the doctor explains to me that he examination has determined that I have a broken arm and then goes on to add, "but as you assured the nurse out in the hallway, Mr. Kenny, that you were 'fine,' I'm giving you a big paper bag of air and a warning to think next time before speaking." 

In my case , that would doom me to be forever silent, but you see my point (I'm not wearing a hat so it's easier). 

The same thing happens at the store usually at the checkout, when the cashier prior to ringing out the order, asks 'did you find everything okay?' How literally should I take that? It's been many decades since I found everything to be okay but I suspect that's not what the question was about. 

Having unloaded a cart of groceries and other prospective purchases onto the conveyor belt at the register, I guess, doesn't seem like the answer we were going for. I've now made it a practice to always respond to 'did you find everything okay?' with "yes, you'll have to hide it better next time."

When I've timed the delivery just right, I can usually enjoy another minute of silence before any further and futile attempts to fill it up with empty words. Paper or plastic?
-bill kenny             

No comments:

Pack Your Own Chute

I have been pretty much a homebody since retirement six years ago. Sue me. I like to sleep in my own bed. That doesn't mean I'm aver...