Saturday, March 3, 2018

Planning Ahead

Another Winter Olympics is history and I watched about the same number of hours on the plethora of NBC stations carrying them as Greece, the home of the original Olympics, had Winter Games' Gold Medals (okay, a little more). 

There was a lot of talk about Norway's haul of medals and what nations are 'good' at what sports (and, in fairness I'll add, in what Olympics winter or summer) and why that comes to happen. 

I paid the discussion no mind as the Olympics, unlike the World Cup, are something I will watch only if they are on a TV screen where I am when I am looking at the screen and they happen to show up. I don't search them out (or even know where the next ones will be held).
  
But I am wondering in terms of who is good at some sports (that was going to be my gang name if I'd ever been in one), what about US, not just us, I mean the USA. Will the summer Olympics add NASCAR anytime soon? Why shouldn't the Andorran Olympians have Go Daddy fire suits? Or how about a Monster Trucks competition


And in the same sentiment as 'go big or go home' why should the world settle for plain old Greco-Roman wrestling when there's WWE? And don't tell me we're the only country on earth with dogs running the length of docks leaping into the air and landing in the water!

Considering the dollars that change hands for the rights to broadcast the Olympics to the farthest corner of the universe where, I suspect, the reaction is often like it was in my house for most of last month ("I didn't know the Pro Disc Golf Association channel was an NBC affiliate!"), we might seriously consider throwing the competitions even wider opener  so put those thinking caps on (admit it: you thought I made the PDGA up didn't you? I wish).

I'm holding out for that most national of all of our past times, Beer Pong

And I've already lined up the sponsor, Brilliant
-bill kenny

No comments:

Man or Mouse?

We see ourselves as the self-anointed 'Crown of Creation.' I'm surprised more of us don't have dislocated shoulders from pat...