Saturday, April 7, 2018

As Is Bent the Twig

It's interesting to me how we revisit our parents upon our children, accidentally and incidentally. I was stopping the other day at the local grocery whose name is the non-gerund form of that word plus shop. 

I don't circle the parking lot looking for a spot but we all know people like that. They always make me smile. If they have a passenger I'll bet they're tempted to have them get out and stand in front of the sliding doors holding them wide open to see if the vehicle will pass through them into the store. That would be cool, would it not?

A million years ago there was an automat at the U-Bahn haltestelle at Eschenheimer Tor in Frankfurt that was very popular with a certain crowd after hours.They'd (almost typed we'd) feed it all of their kleine geld and buy candy bars and crisps nearly as much for the delight of watching the mechanical arm swoop down and grab teach item to then drop it into the dispensing drawer as out of any form of hunger. 

Anyway, back at the lot. A mom and a small child of three, maybe four, I'm not sure (I used to be an expert on small children, being in the biz and having two myself and all, but those days are decades ago) but I think he was a boy, were heading towards the entrance. The mom was going over in her head her grocery list while he was skittering to keep up with her. 

Our moms did that to us. Holding the child's left hand with their right hand, however, due to manufacturing difficulties, the child's hand and arm come just barely to the top of his head while Mom's hand and arm reach only to mid-thigh so one of the two is on tiptoes at high speed where ever we go. We know which one right?

I hailed the woman and pushed a cart from the corral towards her and offered it to her for the child. She glared for just a moment and then relented as she picked him up and put him in the seat and, I watched, buckled him in. 

In twenty years when you see a young man walking down the street NOT dragging his left hand on the ground because it's feet longer than his right arm, that's the toddler I helped out yesterday. Go ahead and wave, you'll marvel at how easily he can wave back.

No comments:

A Quarter of a Century On...

Maybe it's a phenomenon of age and the aging process but I'm always surprised to discover something I think of as 'not that long...