Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Literacy Can Save Lives

There are times my imagination helps me smile and other times when I'm glad I don't live in a world that is ruled by it. I take a baby aspirin every day, technically they're called low-dose to make adults like me with medical conditions requiring their use to feel a little less like a wuss. 

I was running low and while out shopping Friday with Sigrid, I grabbed a pair of small bottles each containing one hundred low-dose aspirin (see? It's working!) with the intention of opening each and pouring them into the container I bought almost a year ago because it had three hundred low-dose aspirin.

I undid the caps on the two small bottles and underneath them was a foil wrapper telling me the containers were "sealed for your protection." I was about to simply tear it off when I decided to err on the side of caution and walked out front, intercepting someone out on a stroll enjoying the sunny day. 

I asked him to please rip off the foil, which he did. And hundreds of ravenous low-dose baby aspirin devoured him. It would have been awful had it really happened. Talk about the value of learning to read for meaning. 

And if it had happened, his memorial service would be Friday at the St. Joseph's chapel. 
-bill kenny    

No comments:

Pack Your Own Chute

I have been pretty much a homebody since retirement six years ago. Sue me. I like to sleep in my own bed. That doesn't mean I'm aver...