Wednesday, April 25, 2018

This, That, and Some of the Other

I'm writing this on Earth Day 2018, Sunday, April 22, which may surprise some who believe I create this by opening a dictionary over a blank piece of paper and shaking it vigorously while gathering up the words that have fallen out. I wish. 

I mention Earth Day because I accidentally ended up in the first-ever Earth Day Parade in New York City back in 1970 as a pimply prep-school know it all. And now, nearly a half-century later, I have clear skin and not only still know it all but know it all better. 

Another reason I mention Earth Day is that a lot of words have been written in the last week or so about the end of the Chelsea Botanical Gardens. Sunday's editorial in The Bulletin, I think, struck a nice balance between elegant and elegiac in summarizing an environmental and economic revitalization initiative that for too long labored in obscurity and when it finally became known to many of us here in Norwich it was under far less than favorable circumstances. 

All I'll add is I regard it as a cautionary tale illustrating the power of information and the importance of sharing it. In this case, too little was offered too late by too few to too many for the kind of support and public engagement such a project needed to ever succeed. 

I'd hope a lesson we all learn is that open, honest communication is the best way to enrich and enhance our community by building bridges among us rather than allowing the pursuit of alleged hidden agendas to create walls we can never overcome. 

And why should/would this be important?

For me, perhaps because of an online article I read in the last few days, "Connecticut Towns Graded from A+ to D+: How Did Our Community Do?" from Niche.com whose mission the site says is to "help you discover the schools and neighborhoods that are right for you." 

It would seem we're in need of a lot more help than I thought since we received a grade of C+ on their report card (ahead of only twenty-two other towns). Factors for their grade include the cost of living, housing, public schools, diversity, crime and safety, outdoor activities, and walkability among others. Perceptions of reality and reality are very often the same thing and in this case, for someone like me who tries hard to see the positive in The Rose of New England, a C+ is really harsh and hurtful.

Of course, it also means there's room to improve and if anyone can, it is us (especially since no one else will). Rather than shrug or sulk, how about we start to do something for ourselves? 

Let's circle next Saturday, May 5 on our calendars and meet up at nine that morning at Foundry 66 on Franklin Street for a Downtown Norwich Community Clean-Up Day

Come as you are, cleaning supplies (and light refreshments) will be provided. Consider it our Earth Day celebration, and roll up your sleeves and lend a hand. C+ only for now! 
-bill kenny.       

No comments:

Pack Your Own Chute

I have been pretty much a homebody since retirement six years ago. Sue me. I like to sleep in my own bed. That doesn't mean I'm aver...