Sunday, April 8, 2018

Speaking of Orville and Wilbur

I went to Catholic grammar school taught by the Sisters of Charity before they consolidated with other orders. Growing up in the Diocese of Trenton we were all aware the Sisters of Charity, based up the road in Elizabeth, New Jersey had been founded by Blessed  Elizabeth Ann Seton and that she was practically single-handedly responsible for Catholic schools. 

In the school I attended it seemed (even as a small child) the most important subject, aside from religion (duh) was penmanship. We learned cursive (I've heard British people call it 'joined together' a turn of phrase I quite like) and we were taught the A. N. Palmer method where the letters flowed from one into the other and words resembled art rather than written communication. 

One of the tenets of the A.N. Palmer method was the assumption everyone on earth was right-handed or should be. If you were a child who happened to be left-handed you were S.O.L. which wasn't an acronym Sister Thomas Anne used, but she knew what it meant, I'm sure.  

That I would learn a penmanship method allowing no dissent or disagreement in Catholic School strikes me now as deliciously ironic. I'm not sure what I thought about it back then except I feared I'd never learn the two ways to write a lower case t, depending on whether it ended a word or not. And I don't mean to suggest learning a cursive capital Q was anything like the Spanish Inquisition but it was close. 

I mention all of this because in the computer age we have texting instead of emailing and/or phone calling as means to impede the very communications we purport to be enhancing and which geezers like me don't grasp, but my children, and everyone in their generational cohort seem to embrace whole-heartedly.

Much of it doesn't seem to involve actual words or very many words. It's sighs and whispers, smirks and shrugs, nods and winks, all reduced to letters, numbers but mostly keyboard strokes, that sometimes I have to turn my screen sideways and upside-down to read, appreciate and understand. 

For years, I missed the meaning of LOL and ROTFLMAO and all the variants and variables to include SMH and FTW and now that I've caught on to those, I get to wade through the valley of emoticons and understand when people are happy, ;-), uncertain ;-/ , or sad, ;-( and when they're telling me to go chase myself, ;-P. 

I once had the most wonderful penmanship in the sixth grade, and somewhere I still have the A. N. Palmer Method Certificate of Excellence, signed by Sister Mary Immaculata, Mother Superior herself to prove it (her signature left a LOT to be desired as I remember it). Now I need to have the hardest working opposable thumbs in show business, tapping in a frenzy of semi-Morse code to tell the peeps in my posse I'm ;-O to still be on the planet.
-bill kenny

No comments:

B-B-Back in M-M-My D-D-Day

On New Year's Day, 1966, London Records (their USA record company) unveiled a billboard for the next Rolling Stones album, December'...