Sunday, February 17, 2019

False Spring?

Raised as a Catholic one of the things that's second nature to me whenever something nice happens is to look around and wait for the other shoe to drop. It can get awkward when I'm in a shoe store, of course, and less than pleasant in most other locations as well.

We had accumulated snow earlier this week in South Eastern Connecticut that turned to rain and then had warming temperatures so by the following afternoon it was almost all gone. I wept not one tear for its departure. Ever since I broke the Flexible Flyer I got for Christmas all those years ago, snow has been one of my least favorite vegetables and so far during this winter I've been mostly all smiles. 

Yeah, we've had windy and grey days, one after the other and I've whined about them incessantly when they've happened but yesterday we had glorious blue skies (okay, sometimes a persistent and strong breeze) and temperatures flirting with the forties. All in all, not bad for mid-February even as I wait for 'real' winter to arrive. 


This is the Lower Falls on the Yantic River at the Uncas Historic District a three-minute walk from my house. There's still lots of ice on the cliffs facing the falls but the roaring waters against the bluest of skies encourage me to root for this false spring hanging around until the real thing gets here.
-bill kenny       

No comments:

Call Me Ishmael

Somedays surfing the web is like trying to talk to Queequeg without staring at his tattoos.  I, for one, did not realize Hermann Melville wa...