Thursday, February 21, 2019

Today Should Be a Holiday

Maybe, just maybe, the worst of winter in the Northeast is over (though so far, I, for one, can't really complain though I still shall) not just because the sun is up longer and starts out earlier, just a little bit, but because today is the first spring training baseball game of 2019. 

All together LOUDLY (you know the tune):
"Take me out to Hohokam Stadium,
Out near Mesa Arizona..."
(trails off as the only word I can think of that rhymes with Arizona is Babylonia...) 

Meanwhile, Thank goodness! 


Taking nothing away from hockey and pro or college (men's and women's) basketball (I root for the UCONN women every NCAA tournament and am so spoiled I am disappointed when they don't win it all), but at the same time dismissing out of hand whatever that pro football still being played is called (it's televised on those TV channels just above the police calls I think), it's time for baseball and not a moment too soon.


If you don't have a favorite team then go get one, now, and get ready to enjoy all of the spring and all of the summer and a small amount of the autumn before all the other sports return. And feel free to pick a minor league team to cheer on as well because that's baseball you can see and touch and we need a damn sight more baseball in our lives every day.
-bill kenny    

No comments:

Call Me Ishmael

Somedays surfing the web is like trying to talk to Queequeg without staring at his tattoos.  I, for one, did not realize Hermann Melville wa...