Monday, February 4, 2019

Halfway to Spring

Decades ago math and I agreed to see other people. I'm not sure of the exact number of years but that sort of proves the point about needing to see other people. I mention that because as I do my reckoning we are exactly halfway to Spring 2019.

I think we are the only species who cuts time up into years, months. weeks, days, minutes, and seconds (phew! Wasn't sure when that would stop) except maybe for the swallows at Capistrano and that rabbit who crossed paths with Alice, or Grace Slick (I've lost track of which).  

It got above freezing yesterday for the first time in a couple of days (that math thing again) and I took myself for a walk to the Norwich Harbor and then back through downtown passing City Hall on my return trek via Broadway to our house. 


On Super Bowl Sunday morning, the gulls and ducks think they
are either Jesus or Tom Brady as they walk on water
I realized admiring the harbor and the ice forming along the banks of both the Yantic and Shetucket Rivers, which create both the Norwich Harbor and the Thames River, that today is the midway point between the start and end of winter. I was both cheered and warmed at that thought. 

Not that it means we won't see ice and snow and cold between now and the date on the calendar where we say Spring starts because six and a half-plus decades of experience here on the ant farm strongly suggest otherwise. 


I like when I can get City Hall to stand still
long enough to get a picture of it
But that little bit of extra daylight we have with each passing day helps persuade me to take a page from James McMurtry even though in my case, at least from a distance my smile and grimace look about the same.
bill kenny      

No comments:

Call Me Ishmael

Somedays surfing the web is like trying to talk to Queequeg without staring at his tattoos.  I, for one, did not realize Hermann Melville wa...