Thursday, April 25, 2019

Another Sure Sign of Spring?

Stephen King, the master of the macabre, once described books as 'uniquely portable magic.' I couldn't agree more and, good news! the curtain goes up on our own magic show tomorrow morning and lasts through Sunday at the Friends of Otis Library Semi-Annual Book Sale.

I have gone to every one of these sales for as long as I can remember not just because I love books and reading them (truth to tell, I've bought far more books than I've yet to read which gives me a warm feeling and technically is known as tsundoku) but also because I'm a fan of basements, and the one under the Otis Library is crammed with reading material of every kind.

As I learned again last Monday when the City Council met with members of the Otis Library Board of Trustees on their budget request, events like the book sales, like the O'Tis a Festival at Christmas, among other outreaches are vital in an era where we have more wants than wallet in keeping the library's lights on and providing services to our community.

If you've been a patron of a previous book sale, consider this a refresher and if you've yet to attend one, this is your introduction and pay attention because there may just be a quiz. Here goes:

There's a sneak preview tomorrow morning from nine to ten which attracts collectors from across New England who pay $10 for the head start it affords them on searching for treasures and great deals ranging from books of every genre, magazines, compact discs, and more. 

No matter how many collectors attend (look for the out of state license plates on the parked cars and despite rumors to the contrary you can always find a place to park) there's still plenty of great stuff when the opening for the general public starts at ten. 




Hours on both Friday and Saturday are from ten until three and from noon until three on Sunday. It's an opportunity to say hello to neighbors you haven't seen perhaps since the book sale last fall (It's why I wear a name tag) while refreshing your home bookshelves, shuffling between the stacks not sure exactly what you're looking for until you find it. I usually have no idea what I'm looking for but still come home delighted, surprised, and with (considerably) more than I'd counted on and I'll bet you will, too.

The Otis Library book sale is also a great reason to check out the transformation that's continuing to happen to previously vacant storefronts as new and young faces open up great new places to shop, eat and mingle. I've long felt downtown looks to the Otis Library the way the fingers on the hand look to the thumb and after too many years of the library being just about all that was in downtown, it's awesome to be spoiled for the choices we have now.      

You can work up quite an appetite browsing for bargains so make it a point to grab a bite at one of the many restaurants you'll pass along the way. There are tables for every taste and plates for every palette, just steps away from the library and one another. And, as I said, you can check out how much more alive downtown is since the last time you looked.

The book sale is our chance to support a champion of downtown development. 
-bill kenny

No comments:

Kyrie Eleison

Today marks the start of my seventy-second revolution around the sun. To be honest, there were times this past year when I didn't think ...