Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Springing into Spring Fever

Without trying to steal a march on any words that will undoubtedly be offered by a leader of a church of your choice in the next day for either Passover and the Paschal Season (or both), I’ve got a case of secular spring fever right now and hope you’ll consider joining me in the spring days ahead to make awesome happen.

Seems like a stretch? It shouldn't really, Look around you. Everything that was dark and dead a month ago is showing signs of rebirth. Every aspect of our lives here on earth is measured by. and in, both evolutionary and revolutionary change. Why not us, and why not now?

Why not decide, in addition to being a brother, a sister, a son or daughter, father or mother, employer or employee, resident and neighbor, our new jobs will also be (in whatever way you have within your means) to make awesome happen. Would this be a cool planet or what? It would definitely be a cooler city, that's for sure. And before you quibble, consider this: we can't muck it up too much more than it already is. Seriously.

I'm not talking grand gestures. Baby steps. Start by smiling at someone you pass on the sidewalk. I do it all the time (I like to show off my teeth). It takes less than two seconds and not only do you brighten someone else's day, more often than not they'll share the smile you gave them with someone else and so it goes.

Don't be daunted because you're alone. That's how we enter this world and how we'll leave it. It's what we do, or choose to NOT do, with the space and the time between those two events that mark our passage on this planet and if you're living for the reflection of approval in the eyes of others, you've already got one foot in the grave.

'I am only one, but still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.'  
Yeah, the words of Edward Everett Hale are certainly a mouthful, but what a mouthful!

We might want to stagger the schedule for making awesome happen so that everyone can actually savor the sensation and appreciate the majestic magnificence of what it is we are doing and what is becoming of the world we have inherited. That's part of our problem sometimes as a species, I fear, the moderation switch has been broken clean off and our appetites for destruction are so seldom sated.

Maybe like you, I'm unhappily surprised to discover I 'know' more people online than I do in real life (by a factor of ten or more times) so it's easy to lose sight that people power is more reliable and abundant than any other form of energy we have or are likely to ever have. In this season of new beginnings, we can make awesome happen. Today and every day.
-bill kenny

No comments:

A Quarter of a Century On...

Maybe it's a phenomenon of age and the aging process but I'm always surprised to discover something I think of as 'not that long...