Monday, May 11, 2020

No Single Drop of Rain

Have you been getting the same amount of rain where you live as we've been getting around southeastern Connecticut? Remember what we used to hear as kids, 'nice weather for ducks'. Today's kids don't hear anything, they text; and some ducks sell insurance. Anyway, we had a season's worth of rain in the first week and a half of May so I hope all those weathermen who go on about rainfall deficits are happy now.

Although in light of our current self-quarantine and sheltering in place behaviors (void at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue), too much nice weather would probably have been wasted on us, I suppose. And, if I were being honest, I didn't do very much complaining that this past winter seemed to have very little of the snow and ice for which New England is famous (not that I missed it, believe me).


We've gotten banged and bruised a lot so far in 2020 by circumstances we keep telling ourselves are beyond our control which may be true BUT how we react to those challenges is very much WITHIN our control and so deciding to refuse to lose is an excellent first step as the public health officials sort out contact tracing, testing, and other prophylactic processes and protections that we'll need for the long haul. 

I think back to a sign I saw long ago in the waiting room of an oncologist I hoped to never see again (and yet like Peaches and Herb we've recently reunited) which offered a smile inside a grimace that I think in recent times has served me well, courtesy of that famed American philosopher Charles ("Good Grief!") Schultz: "Don't worry that the world will end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." 
G'Day.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Yom Hashoah

Words are real only in an intellectual sense. They are not material of any kind and as such have no shape, size, mass, or structure. As kids...