Thursday, April 22, 2021

Rhymes with Mirth

According to my desk calendar, yesterday was 'Administrative Professionals Day' (no idea when the amateurs are honored) but there's nothing about today, Earth Day. I think somebody has a lobby group and somebody else needs one and I think that has to be us. 

Anyway, Happy Earth Day 2021. I would have gotten you a card but I always worry about where it might end up, recycling bin or landfill, and saw no need to take that risk, especially with a corporate captive like the current Postmaster General overseeing delivery and making sure to kneecap Mr. Zip as often as he can. Besides, who reads anymore? Or any less? 

This is all the planet there is, as far as I am concerned. I was almost eighteen when I and a contingent of classmates from the Carteret Academy in West Orange, New Jersey, marched down NYC's Fifth Avenue in the first Earth Day celebration in 1970. Okay, we'd gotten lost while in The City for the day (a senior trip of sorts, class not citizens having moments). Not quite sure who it was, but someone figured the parade would be a great chance to meet girls. Who cares why we were there! Still.

I thought then and think now that if we work to make the place on the planet upon which we stand and live the very best we can, each of us can rescue all of us. So not just today, but every day, when you see something, environmental or otherwise that causes you to say 'somebody should do something!' please remember you are that somebody.


Me?  I just do my bewildered best and some folks even see the bear in me.
-bill kenny  

No comments:

It's a Long Walk

Today is the birthday of our baby girl, Michelle. She was the smallest and most perfect person I had ever seen on the day of her birth. When...