Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Norwich Voter Forum Tonight in Slater Museum

What are you doing tonight? If you’re a registered Norwich voter Norwich your answer should read “Glad you asked! I am going to be in the Slater Museum auditorium at Norwich Free Academy starting at six to participate in both sessions of the debates among the Board of Education candidates followed by a session with those seeking seats on our next City Council.”

Considering, as of today, there are twenty-one (shopping) days until Election Day and we have had ZERO opportunities to listen to anyone seeking office in the Rose City say anything about how they would conduct themselves on our behalf, tonight maybe the proverbial one-time good deal.   

The forum is organized by The League of Women Voters of Southeastern Connecticut (LWVSECT), in collaboration with Latinos for Educational Advocacy and Diversity (LEAD) and the students of Norwich Free Academy (NFA). My thanks to all of them for their generosity and initiative.

People, as you may have noticed, prefer problems that are familiar to solutions that are not. I don’t pretend to know what the ratio of words to action on any given challenge or opportunity is but I think it’s lopsided in favor of talk. Add to that, is what we in the Air Force used to call The General’s Rule, “Nothing is impossible for the person who doesn’t have to do it.” Strange how when you’re not doing it, how easy a task looks.

We all say, ‘Somebody should do something about…’ (our Grand List, our downtown redevelopment, our public schools-pick an issue. It’s a target-rich environment) and I deeply appreciate the time and talents of all those who volunteer to try to do something.  

I donate widely, if not wisely, to the campaigns of my neighbors because they are kind enough to offer themselves for office and to do those things that must be done for all of us as a community even if many of us in this same community think sometimes the way they go about is wrong.

I don't know how you vote or why and I don't care (and it's none of my business) but I try to choose (I'm not always successful) people who will use their best judgment to achieve a result that benefits the greatest number of those of us with whom they share this city.

Tonight’s forum is for each of us, and for all of us. If you have a question for anyone, be it the Board of Education or City Council, send it now to info.lwvsect@gmail.com.

Too often, candidate forums spend a lot of time rehashing the past-I know we’re a city with a lot of history but there’s no point as far as I’m concerned in looking back. That’s not the direction we’re headed.

I’d ask those vying for a seat on the Board of Education how they individually and collectively would specifically help revitalize the environment of excellence Norwich Public Schools enjoyed when our two were students two decades ago. No glittering generalities.

And I’d ask prospective alderpersons how they see the role and function of the City Council and define what their individual contributions to that Council would and should be.

Too often, very few voters turn out for these, and those who do roll around and make a noise like a marble in a box car. So, I hope you’ll find the time to come and listen, and, hopefully, learn where we’re going and who is holding the map.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Pack Your Own Chute

I have been pretty much a homebody since retirement six years ago. Sue me. I like to sleep in my own bed. That doesn't mean I'm aver...