Saturday, December 9, 2023

So Bird's Not the Word?

Not sure why, but the other day, 'zany' popped into my head. It was a word we heard a lot when we were kids but was usually used by adults rather than us. We preferred 'goofy,' and  years before 'cool' became cool, things that were cool were 'nifty.' 

Language is amazing-technically, languages are amazing as there are at least seven thousand different languages. And somehow, I realize they explain the methodology but I wanted to interject with a 'somehow' for dramatic purposes, the Oxford University Press every year, in what I suspect resembles a cat rodeo of sorts manages to wrangle out of all of the languages in the world a "Word of the Year." 

For 2023, that word is 'rizz.' I know that's zany, innit, practically kooky (another word from my youth) but the explanation is fascinating even if I'm still a little disappointed that I never got to use last year's WOTY, 'goblin mode.'(not related in any way to pie ala, seemingly) or, as it turns out any of the other relatively recent words of the year

With so many languages, you'll not be surprised to discover that other dictionary publishers have their own Word of the Year, 'authentic' was the choice of Merriam-Webster but I've got tot say say it doesn't hit me in the feels the way rizz does. Perhaps nothing ever will, at least until next year.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Ruminating about Roosevelt

I have some random and not especially original observations before Monday night’s Second Public Hearing on the City Budget.  Theodore Roosev...