Monday, December 18, 2023

Wandering and Wondering

I’ve written before about how much I enjoy walking and how often walking across Norwich has been a source of inspiration (you wondered where this stuff came from, right?).

I love the difference of perspective I get when I’m thundering along at the speed of thought (or what passes for it in my case) able to take in the various aspects of neighborhoods that I’d just glance at through a windshield under other circumstances.

It can be helpful, at least for me, to get a deeper appreciation of a location in the news by going and looking at it, to supplement the exercise of reading a newspaper story (or stories) about it.

That was the case last Tuesday when I tagged along as a fly on the wall for a special meeting of the Commission of the City Plan for a site walk of what’s being called the Occum Industrial Center (residents in the immediate vicinity have somewhat more colorful names for it, I learned) before tomorrow night’s regular meeting which will include a continuation of the Commission's public hearing on the proposed development.

The meeting is open to the public and will be in Room 335 of City Hall, but you can follow along at home via Zoom. You’ll find the agenda (and how to be part of Who’s Zooming Who here.)  

And while you’re on the City’s website, please notice the two vacancies on the Commission on the City Plan (and scads of others on so many other advisories, boards, and commissions) so maybe part of the new you for the new year could be to volunteer to become a part of why Norwich is a great place to come home to. Maybe your involvement could not only make a difference but be the difference.

Walking across the hills and dales of the spaces the proposed business park intends to develop was more than eye-opening. To be honest, most of my visits to Occum (I live near NFA) were to Austin’s Garage because they were wizards with Subarus, so last Tuesday was a very different experience from reading news accounts of the ongoing discussions between the industrial center's proponents and many of those who’ve called Occum home for years, in some cases, decades.

I‘d read about Tarryk Farms, a part of the proposed parcel for development (and was earlier slated to be the Byron Brook Country Club project). It is spectacular and it’s hard to believe so much nature is so near to Norwich (well, the buzz of traffic on I-395 does help give it away a little).

I can see why it’s so attractive for development (highway access and power lines on site) and let’s face it, Norwich desperately needs the tax revenue, but I can appreciate the passion of those Occum neighbors who want a better understanding of what is being proposed and its cost (in terms of flora, fauna, and habitat for all manner of wildlife as well as other concerns).

For some, the Occum Industrial Center is a field of dreams, but others worry it could become a nightmare, and once developed there’s no turning back. Finding
the proper balance means accommodating everyone
. 

I don’t know what the answer is or should be, but I do know all of us who live here, not just in Occum, should be better informed about the project and all of its risks and rewards.
 

It shouldn’t have to matter to you before it matters to you
-bill kenny

No comments:

Ruminating about Roosevelt

I have some random and not especially original observations before Monday night’s Second Public Hearing on the City Budget.  Theodore Roosev...