Friday, January 8, 2016

One Down

This is the start of the second week of the New Year. This time last week some of us were waking up and it was already afternoon and everybody needed to be really quiet, okay? Not really sure what happened since all of that became all of this? Life as we know it. 

We slice and dice time I suspect to convince ourselves we have some form of control over it. As a kid, I always looked forward to summer vacation and the older I got, the faster it went until it seemed I was starting a new school year just about the time I was finishing the old one.


School’s out for a lot of us, at least in the literal sense. I always enjoy learning, to this very day; I don’t always enjoy being taught, but that is a common refrain even among those of us who didn’t know we were singing the same song.

Meanwhile the seconds speed by, becoming minutes and then hours. Before we know it, today is done and tomorrow looms, and the tomorrow and the one after that (petty pace sold separately) all pile on.

I fell over a great quote from Pope Paul VI, capturing I think just the right amount of urgency not just for today, but for every day and for all the days that remain.

“Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say.

“Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows.”
-bill kenny

No comments:

Now and Zen

Our local supermarket, feeling the competitive pressure no doubt of an Arkansas retail chain in a business where profit margins often disapp...