Saturday, August 12, 2017

Hallelujah, You're Home

My mother was a part of my life for every single day I lived until her recent passing. Today, I and my family drive to the Jersey Shore and with her children, my brothers and sisters, and as many of our (and their) kith and kin as could come will say goodbye, for one final time.

Mom died in early June, less than two weeks short of her 89th birthday. She lived life on her terms and she left life on her terms, and there isn't a day that's gone by since her death that I haven't missed her. I tell myself I've gotten used to that ache of absence but I am lying because I don't know how you get used to that and I'm trying to steel myself because I fully expect to feel it a lot more as today unfolds.
Mom's high school graduation photo (mooched from Adam)
"Oh, I'm in pieces. 
It's tearing me up but I know a heart that's broke is a heart that has loved. 
Hallelujah.
You were an angel in the shape of my mum.
You got to see the person I have become.
Spread your wings and I know that when God took you back
He said, "Hallelujah you're home."
-bill kenny

No comments:

A Quarter of a Century On...

Maybe it's a phenomenon of age and the aging process but I'm always surprised to discover something I think of as 'not that long...