Wednesday, August 9, 2017

(Lawn) Signs and Wonders

As of midnight this morning, we had exactly ninety-one days. You just paused, not really questioning my mad math skills so much as trying to figure out what I could be talking about. Tick, Tock.

We both know the calendar well enough to know it's too far away for that number to be Christmas, but how about the Great Pumpkin rising from a homey pumpkin patch at Halloween? You've never seen that Charlie Brown special? Actually, neither have I but that's not what I'm counting down to. Tick, Tock.

Ninety-one days from today is Election Day. There are a lot of people, friends, and neighbors (with and without loaner ears) from across Norwich offering to invest their time and talents for elected positions ranging from Mayor through City Council and Board of Education to city treasurer. A lot has been accomplished in recent years and there's a lot more yet to be done so we can use all the helping hands we can get.

I know, you're still hoping to get away for a few days for the summer, the kids will be going back to school in three weeks (!), Labor Day will be here and gone before you know it so who even wants to think about municipal elections that don't happen until November right now?

The correct answer to that question should be all of us. Driving back and forth to work every day, I've been watching lawn signs of support sprout and spread slowly for weeks. Always makes me wish I owned stock in the wire frame company the signs fit over. Kidding aside (which is what that was), it's always interesting to me to keep track of whose signs are where and how many.

Right now, using that admittedly very informal and less-than-scientific method, my rough count suggests the popular choice seems to be that ice cream place over by the golf course with one or more of those driveway sealing companies making a challenge.

Still trying to be funny; emphasis on the trying.
I've been registered to vote here when we had multiple candidates running unopposed so I'm grateful for the choices offered and the voices each of them represent for aspirations and inspiration here in The Rose of New England.

I don't want to hear any sighs and mutterings about this election season. We have who knows how many candidate forums and opportunities to sit together with those who are volunteering to do their best for all of us and the city we share. We have the hard part: we have to choose.

I don't care who you vote for as long as you're registered and vote. Actually, I'm lying. I care deeply about for whom you cast your ballot, but it's just as much my business as how I vote is yours. In other words, freedom of choice rules, however each of us chooses because we each get to choose.

And don't think I won't mention the elections between now and November, at what will seem like every opportunity. Voting is how we help ourselves improve and there’s plenty of room for that around here. Now’s the time for us to study and decide. Tick, tock.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella

At seven-plus decades here on the Big Blue Marble, I am perhaps inordinately proud of having very nearly all my own teeth and hardly any cav...