Sunday, August 27, 2017

You Didn't Ask; I Didn't Tell

I'm hoping no matter what time you're looking at these words, the Mayweather-McGregor Fight, Scrum, Brawl, Arg-Bargy, What-Have-You, is over. 

Nope. Not a second of it (the answer to your 'didja watch it?' question). Maybe because I don't have the build for it or maybe because I lack the temperament for it, I haven't been able to 'appreciate' boxing as a sport from childhood onwards when heavyweight prize fights were on "free" (over the air) TV stations so the whole family could enjoy 'em. 

And before you ask, I don't think professional wrestling is real or a sport (which is too bad because high school and college wrestling most certainly are, and great ones, too). Same goes for Mixed Martial Arts (wasn't this street brawling when we were kids?) and Unlimited Fighting Championships (is that what UFC stands for?). And as supportive of women's equality as a man of my age and background can be, I don't feel any joy watching/reading about two women beating each other up in a ring. 

Bread and circuses. That's what pacified the masses of the late Roman Republic as their democracy crumbled and devolved into the heartless and heedless Roman Empire. And I have to wonder, Et tu, Donald? 

Fists have neither brains nor mouths, the two components essential for us as a species to figure out how to get along.
-bill kenny    

No comments:

Now and Zen

Our local supermarket, feeling the competitive pressure no doubt of an Arkansas retail chain in a business where profit margins often disapp...