Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Bullish on Norwich

This weekend's weather was, I'm hoping (and keeping fingers crossed), a preview of what we can expect when Summer 2018 officially arrives tomorrow morning a little bit after six. Not that I wait for calendar pages to tell me what to do. 

I wasn't alone this weekend enjoying the Norwich Harbor as the 30th Annual Juneteenth Celebration shared space and place of pride with boaters at the marina and walkers and gawkers (like me) along with kayakers at Howard T. Brown Park and fisherfolk (I'm working on a term that reflects the sport's appeal to men and women and that's the best I've gotten so far, but I'm open to suggestions). 

There were lots of us out and about enjoying the great weather and a lot of great weather to enjoy. One of the improvements that regular Harbor visitors like us shave noticed in recent years is how places to enjoy a meal or sit and sip some liquid refreshment have multiplied mostly a block or so from the water.     

On weekends, especially fair-weather ones, I try to log fifteen-thousand or more steps and as I see  Norwich from the sidewalk at speeds approaching and sometimes exceeding four miles an hour (admittedly only when I'm walking downhill) affords me ample opportunity to savor the various flavors of the city I've now lived in for more than a quarter of a century. 

I cannot remember, because I wasn't here the businesses that once lined both sides of Main Street from Burnham Square to who-knows-where nor have I ever experienced the hustle and bustle of Thursday night shopping across Franklin Square, but I have read and re-read (and still very much enjoy) the Bill Stanley books I've always chosen to believe he intended to be equal parts postcards from the past and signposts of the future for a city he was so passionate about. 

I never had the good fortune of meeting Mr. Stanley but the longer I've lived here the easier I find it to understand why he was such a vocal supporter of Norwich, past, present, and future. We have a lot to be proud of and while I'll agree 'we are certainly not Mystic' as someone yet again scolded me Sunday morning as we crossed paths near Yantic Cemetery, at some point not even Mystic was Mystic. 

And when someone (else) asks me via email "don't you get tired of being a cheerleader for this place?" My easy answer is nope, not at all.

I spent some quality time Saturday with a very friendly Monocle the Dog (I knew that liverwurst aftershave would come in handy someday) at a new haberdashery and tuxedo rental business that's opened on Broadway practically across the street from Craftsman Cliff Roasters, who now have a Little Library on the sidewalk out front so you can read a book to complement your coffee. 

There's an Indian food restaurant working to open on Main Street with a great view of the Reid & Hughes building which has seen more activity this month than in (I'm guessing) the last decade. And next weekend is the Rose City Arts Festival returning to Chelsea Parade (last year's revival was fun for all) during the daylight before making way for live music in Chelsea as our summer nights begin. 

When I walk in Norwich, I always wear pants with pockets so I have someplace to put all the fun and enjoyment because this is my town now. You should try making it yours. See what happens.
-bill kenny       

             

No comments:

Somewhere Santayana Grimaces

Do you know what a bellend is? See? Learn something new every day. Here's someone who is a perfect representation of both definitions, ...