Thursday, June 21, 2018

The One Over San Luis Rey Would Be a Breeze

I was heading over the Mohegan-Pequot Bridge on Saturday afternoon, from Route 12 towards Route 395 when zipping by me was a man wearing a lime green ball cap (making him visible from space) in a convertible Audi sports-type car, with the top down on the car. (That’s how I was able to get the full flavor for his ball cap).

It was a gorgeous day, maybe one of the ten best days we’ll have all year but my point in mentioning the motorist with the head cover is why? You bought a convertible to put the top down whenever you desire, though I’m guessing more in pleasant/delightful weather than during a rain of frogs or a plague of locusts (and those Rain-X windshield wipers can do nothing to clear your glass, btw), so now that you have, why are you wearing a hat? To me, it’s like wearing a raincoat when you shower. Yes, you can do it but why would you?

Yesterday, practically home coming over what we call the “Asylum Street Bridge” (I‘ve heard ‘old timers’ call it the ‘Canada Bridge’ but have never heard why), a two way traffic bridge that’s in need of repair because of all the wear from people like me who use it as a short-cut to get from where we are to where we wish to be, an auto in the opposite direction executed a 180 degree (I can’t say “U” or “K” because there’s not enough room to do either) on the bridge.

I know this because he did it in front of me, without signaling, and cut me off to turn around. He gambled, correctly, that I like my car more than he likes his and that I was willing to hit the brakes hard to avoid hitting him (while staring in my rear-view mirror and hoping the driver behind me had invested in brakes as well; she had).

The person in the car behind him on the other side, who’d had to make her own sudden stop, was less than impressed by the skills it took to turn around in such a confined space a full-sized Buick Terraplane and was leaning on the horn with her right arm while giving the driver a rating of one rigid digit of her left hand that she followed him with as he finished his maneuver and disappeared up Lafayette Street.

I think she was being a bit harsh as it took a reasonable amount of skill to make that kind of a turn. I feel it was definitely worth more than just a 1. Probably that Olympic Skating Soviet judge I’ve heard so much about.            
-bill kenny

No comments:

Somewhere Santayana Grimaces

Do you know what a bellend is? See? Learn something new every day. Here's someone who is a perfect representation of both definitions, ...