Monday, November 4, 2019

Brooms and Dust?

One of the things I always find fascinating, possibly because I have close to no mechanical ability, is how much more motion in the turning of a wheel is devoted to the outermost part, the rim, as opposed to the center or the hub. 

Considering that tomorrow, not just in Norwich, but across these United States, is Election Day, which means many new beginnings and endings and an awful lot of 'to be continued's, this might be the last moment I can nudge you to go out and vote, and I'm not going to let that opportunity pass me by.

Tomorrow polls in Norwich open at six in the morning and close at eight at night, meaning you have more than enough time to vote. Growing up in the not quite swamps of Jersey part of the Garden State we used to say 'vote early and often' but the Russian interference in our last Presidential election made that joke very unfunny so I'll skip it (or not).

My larger point: You don't get to call into the local radio show or write letters to the editors of our two daily newspapers, griping about what's wrong in your town, unless you go and vote. For those of us in Norwich, we have many choices and many voices and the luxury of choice is a marvelous thing. 

Thank you to the friends and neighbors who've offered of themselves to seek elected office. You will not all triumph at the polls, but we have all gained because of your generosity. You have done your part and I can only hope that tomorrow we do ours.
-bill kenny


No comments:

Still Waiting on My Pony Ride

Today is the 150th running of the " Fastest Two Minutes in the Whole Dam World or Something Like It ."  It's Kentucky Derby Da...