Sunday, February 16, 2020

Brevity Is the Soul of Communication

I have never been accused of being concise. Even those who are inclined to be friendly would admit I talk so much that were I to go overboard in the Norwich Harbor it would take me forever to drown as I would keep popping back up every time I disappeared beneath the waters to shout yet something else I'd just thought of while sinking. As a matter of fact, I'd still be bobbing around out there unless and until someone waded out and held me under until the bubbles stop despite the irony that "Bubbles" is my gang name. 

Despite my predilection for loquaciousness, it doesn't mean I don't admire people and/or documents that offer cogent and concise insights and observations, and I'm good at finding them and keeping them so I can break them out, dust them off, and use them to recharge my own enthusiasms when needed. 

For instance, I've saved the 2002 City of Norwich Plan of Conservation and Development (here's the one from 2013) not because I enjoy it as light reading but for this in its foreword which is as true for where you live as it is for where I live: 'Good cities don't just happen, they are made' and a line I hope we don't forget, 'the future of Norwich depends(s)on the ability of City leadership to bring together disparate opinions around a common vision.

Sounds an awful lot like a mission statement and a calling card we can all rally around, or should.
-bill kenny


No comments:

B-B-Back in M-M-My D-D-Day

On New Year's Day, 1966, London Records (their USA record company) unveiled a billboard for the next Rolling Stones album, December'...