Monday, February 3, 2020

Yet Another Successful Orbit Around the Sun

When you grow up in a large family with many brothers and sisters you come to regard birthday cake as a separate food group. I'm the oldest of six children and growing up in our house we celebrated sibling birthdays in January, February, April, July, October, and December. 

My brother, Adam, is today's birthday boy. 

Fun fact among the Kenny Kids and Kin, my brother has no middle name. 

His name is Adam, as our mother, Joan, explained in clipped and terse tones to Father Stan Lewandoski (who immediately regretted his inquiry) attempting small talk at the baptismal font in the entrance to the nave of Saint Joseph's Church in East Millstone. New Jersey,  because "he was God's first, and my last." 

Mom then glared at my father who, in my memory, almost always had the last word with everyone on earth but decided, wisely, I think in this instance, to hold his peace.

Adam is a person of many skills and abilities to include, perhaps most especially, a husband as well as equally important a father and also a grandfather (three times over) and is deserving of every happiness, not to mention fully-loaded slices of birthday cake, not just on this, his birthday, but every day. Happy Birthday!
-bill kenny   

1 comment:

Adam Kenny said...

Thanks very much for the birthday shout out and for the smile. Had I opted for a life of crime I had planned on making "Adam with no middle name" my Mob nickname. I never fail to smile hearing Mom's voice in my head recounting her "God's first, Joan's last" story. I'm smiling now while I'm typing this comment.

Many thanks as well for the spectacular birthday card and for all the love behind its selection. Both are appreciated more than I can adequately express.

Much love,
Adam with no middle name
(figured I'd kick the tires on it here!)

Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella

At seven-plus decades here on the Big Blue Marble, I am perhaps inordinately proud of having very nearly all my own teeth and hardly any cav...