Sunday, February 9, 2020

Reel Life

Tonight, according to all the ads I've been watching TV, are the Oscars for the year's best movies. I think the last movie I saw was an English-language version of Star Wars in a Frankfurt am Main movie house on the Hauptwache as part of a 'let's be nice to US service personnel in foreign countries' outreach. I think we got in for free.

The theater allowed you to smoke cigarettes in your seat and you could order and drink beer as well. The weirdest part of the evening was watching all the German-language commercials that ran after the previews and before the feature. 'Oma. Kennst du den dass ploop-ploop?' being one I'll remember forever. (not what the product was, just the tagline). 

As you've surmised, I've not seen any of the films nominated this year (again) nor would I recognize any/most/some of the actors and actresses nominated for their roles though I will read the news story in the papers tomorrow about the winners and nod sagaciously, or as close to it as I ever get. 

Pass the popcorn and enjoy.
-bill kenny. 

No comments:

B-B-Back in M-M-My D-D-Day

On New Year's Day, 1966, London Records (their USA record company) unveiled a billboard for the next Rolling Stones album, December'...