Saturday, February 29, 2020

Sort of like "Free Baseball" but Without the Baseball

If this were the YES Network we'd be having what Michael Kay always calls extra innings, "Free Baseball." Today, 29 February, is a limited edition type of situation.

We only have one of these 'extra days' of February every four years. I had a classmate in grammar school, Jimmy M., whose birthday was February 29. We used to tease him when we were all kids that he shouldn't be in the seventh grade since he was only like three or four. Now, I guess, he's closer to his late teens as I near my 68th birthday. 

Can't help being cheerful about an extra day once every four years that we stick onto the 'shortest' month which happens to fall during our coldest season of the year. I suspect Australia feels very differently about the extra day, but still. We might have preferred it in June or July for additional hot fun in the summertime, but we're stuck with it where it is, I guess.

Since this is an extra day, as reflected on the calendar and included in the lifespan of those of us on the planet at this moment why not do something with that extra day? Once every four years, we can afford that I hope. It costs nothing today to perform an act of kindness or of civic-mindedness. This day came with the calendar, be it a Kincaide or a Far Side. Right here, 29 February. Put it to good use. Take a look around for someplace or someone to help. God knows it's a target-rich environment.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Candles on the Cake Set off the Smoke Alarm

I got congratulated a lot Friday for my birthday when it was really my mom who deserved all the credit. I was, literally, along for the ride...