Thursday, February 20, 2020

Give Peas a Chance?

Many years ago, when I was a wee slip of a lad, our President at the time, George Herbert Walker Bush, he of  'Read My Lips. No New Taxes,' declared war on a vegetable that I presume had been minding its own business, broccoli. So much for lips that taste broccoli will never be taxed, I guess.

I, on the other hand, enjoy most vegetables, the current occupant of the White House excluded, though I'm not an enthusiastic supporter of Brussel Sprouts (and stop telling me 'you just haven't had sprouts prepared properly; there is no proper way) but the first President Bush couldn't spare even one point of light when it came to broccoli.  

Turns out, Great Britain didn't spare very much more than that either. And somewhere Russ Giguere weeps.
-bill kenny

2 comments:

Adam Kenny said...

As someone who likes broccoli (both uncooked and cooked) I never understood Bush 41's disdain for it. Loathe string beans? I'm right there with you, Mr. President!

William Kenny said...

I remember Kelly hiding string beans rather than eating them...;-)

All Due Respect for Art's Sake

From my earliest days as a short-pants, no romance little kid, I read National Geographic Magazine.  I could be transported anywhere and eve...