Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Postcard from a New Normal

Just me, or who else knew that staying home and keeping yourself to yourself could be so challenging? Seriously (and I use that word advisedly especially today, April Fool's Day. Remember when we used to pull practical jokes on one another on this day? Yeah, good times, just not this time), the idea of being alone together, seemingly contradictory concepts might be what gets us through these challenging times. 

I'm not a big fan of the expression 'self-quarantine,' and feel more reassured saying 'sheltering in place' (I think because of the connotations of the word 'sheltering') though they mean pretty much the same thing (welcome to 'potato' and 'poetahtoe' I guess). 

Admittedly they both offer a portrait of each of us adrift in our separate boats not as aware perhaps as we should be that we still share the same ocean. Maybe the keyword in 'social distancing' should be social, to help us better remember that alone together is a temporary measure for a greater good.

Meanwhile, probably like you, for every story I've read (and worried about) on the scale and scope of COVID-19 and the toll it's taking across the country and world, there are also stories about how here in Norwich small businesses are supporting one another and how a coalition of neighbors created Norwich Acts of Kindness, to say thank you to first responders, health care professionals and those caring for the less fortunate in our community. Those stories make me smile and are proof that when all we can count on is one another, we are in good hands.  

And who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Woof! I turn sixty-eight later this month and have a few more medical issues in real-life than the guy who peers back at me from the mirror every morning wants to think about as he prepares to seize the day, so I don't need to be reminded more than once about self-care, the importance of taking precautions and learning to adapt and overcome. 

Last week I had a doctor's appointment that I kept without leaving my house, thanks to Tele-Health. My provider's office staff sent a link to my smartphone, and shortly before my appointment time I signed in and entered a virtual waiting room. I prepped a bit and set the mood by buying a few copies of older issues of Car & Driver and People magazines and scattering them about on the coffee table to help the virtual waiting room feel more like the real one.

Then my doctor and I were speaking screen to screen as if this were the most normal situation in the world. And for right now, it is. Okay, I’ll concede there was one moment of awkwardness when I was asked to turn my head and cough, which I did (into my elbow, of course). Visually, it looked like I was dabbing or half-dabbing to be exact. Between us, I was a bit bummed when the visit was over that I couldn’t help myself to a lollipop but I will get by, as, too shall we all.
-bill kenny  

No comments:

One Is Too Many

Earlier this week the Dow Jones Industrial Average on the New York Stock Exchange briefly topped 40,000 . I don't know who Dow Jones is...