Saturday, June 27, 2020

A Pause that Refreshes

I encountered Sir Charles Barkley yesterday afternoon while out walking. We've had a run of warm and sometimes humid days that have filled much of June with sunshine to the point that here in Southeastern Connecticut we have a rainfall deficit of about six inches, making for brown (and crunchy) front lawns when you walk on them. 

I didn't meet the real Charles Barkley, of course, but rather, a large and quite beautiful black Great Dane whose head came to a little higher than my waist and who was quite content to stand in the shade of a tree while his person and I conversed and exchanged pleasantries about the weather and, of course, what a good boy Sir Charles was being.

I was hiking back towards my house after having detoured on my walk to take in the Lower Falls of the Yantic River, in particular, the rock shelf facing the falls, as I very much enjoy the view any time of the year. 


With the rainfall deficit being the way it is, the Yantic didn't so much roar on its way through Norwich to the Harbor as it did murmur, almost getting lost in the hum of the insects and the calls of the birds all of whom share the lower falls with those of us who wander.
-bill kenny


No comments:

Candles on the Cake Set off the Smoke Alarm

I got congratulated a lot Friday for my birthday when it was really my mom who deserved all the credit. I was, literally, along for the ride...