Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Kids These Days

As a card-carrying codger whose best-buy date has, luckily for me, expired before I have, I've long believed in that well-known quote from an even bigger codger, George Bernard Shaw, 'youth is wasted on the young.

I am, however, making an exception for, among all the young people, these three from right here in Norwich, Connecticut, whom I never met (but their luck will perhaps eventually run out), Nathan Concepcion, Ny'Asia Bermudez, and Janiyah Jarmon. 

They will be celebrated this evening with a Proclamation by the Norwich City Council for their efforts to make where they (and I) live just a bit better than it was the day before. You can follow along via the Public Access television channel.

All three, and hundreds (actually thousands) across the country and around the world have completed the Raising Men and Women Lawn Care Service (Making a Difference One Lawn at a Time) "50 Yard Challenge" which has NOTHING to do with football and EVERYTHING to do with looking out for those in our neighborhoods in need of a helping hand. 

When you click on the link above, you'll learn about Rodney Smith and his efforts to do what he can to make this a better world, and you'll also have an opportunity to make a secure donation so he can do even more (<==HINT). 

And hats off to Nathan, Ny'Asia, and Janiyah for making my/our day. Literally!
-bill kenny   

 

No comments:

Man or Mouse?

We see ourselves as the self-anointed 'Crown of Creation.' I'm surprised more of us don't have dislocated shoulders from pat...