Friday, December 4, 2020

Swapping Out Cause and Effect

I'm keenly aware countering the testimony of roosters everywhere that, despite their crowing, the sun does NOT come up. I'm more than familiar with the confusion some of us have with cause and effect; some cynics might suggest I made a decent living counting on that confusion.

That said, I enjoyed the front-page article yesterday in our local newspaper on the holiday decorations downtown, concentrated at the harbor, as opposed to throughout, and across, Down City. 

I was sorry to read the snowflakes hanging from street lamps across downtown were worn out and beyond repair but having been called a snowflake myself many times in the course of the last four years during the siege of America I can fully understand and appreciate the stress they must have undergone.

If you want to see the lights at the Harbor, you can do so right here or here.     

As the newspaper explained, tonight's the night for the Virtual Lighting of City Hall, which will happen live on the city's website and I'll enjoy it nearly as much as walking down and standing in the courtyard and counting it down like every previous year but I have a confession to make.

Souvenir from last year

I hope I'm not putting anyone from the city on the spot (but don't really care if I do because as you know if you've stopped by this space at any time for the last dozen years, I'm pretty much an arse) if I hope that with so many things on the 'to-do list' even in a pandemic we still find the time for the Christmas Rose at Chelsea Parade.

Also a photo from last year

In the spirit of full disclosure, I should note I do NOT help erect the display (that would be a calamity) but dedicate myself to coming out every evening when it's dark (even if it's cold) and admiring it until I lose the feeling in my extremities. This photo is from last year and is my effort to crow and cause the sun to come up and it will have to do me, I guess until the crews get to it this year which I hope they do because once it's up, the holiday season is literally and figuratively, truly lit.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Short, Sweet, and Sad

Not gonna lie. I missed it and I'll bet you missed it, too.  I'm talking about the recently concluded Texas Sandfest .  As a kid who...