Saturday, February 25, 2023

In Search of a Fifty-Amp Fuse

For reasons too ticklish to explain I have spent a large amount of time in recent days (actually a HUGE amount of time) on the telephone to and with a not inconsiderable number of large behemoth-size organizations. 

I learned long ago that all, or nearly all, of them, are impervious to logic, unmoved by threats or promises, and are singularly disinterested in assisting me (the caller) despite contacting them on what I was led to believe is a customer assistance line.

That I never get to speak to anyone immediately is kind of the overture to a really badly played symphony punctuated by a cacophony of fill music while I'm on hold that makes me want to pierce my own eardrums combined with the pre-recorded assurance that my call is important (just not important enough to hire more human beings to assist) and to please continue waiting. 

If/when I succeed in successfully negotiating the voice menu, which I am always advised has 'recently changed so listen carefully,' and reaching an actual human being, there's always a reminder that 'this call is being recorded to enhance your experience.' 

WTAF? I was taught experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted, so how is recording a phone conversation going to help me? It's more word salad bordering on Bradbury's Firemen from Fahrenheit 451 where just the opposite is what is intended.   

I fell across an article the other day online I'm sharing with you in the hopes you might benefit from it as I know for my part, it's just another ship arriving too late to save a drowning witch.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...