Friday, April 26, 2024

Kyrie Eleison

Today marks the start of my seventy-second revolution around the sun. To be honest, there were times this past year when I didn't think the old geezer would make it, and more than a few moments when I didn't really want to. My birthday makes me morose so if you were looking for a grin, there might be a better day to linger here.

Life is a contact sport and my life coach advised me years ago to learn to like red shirts so I've spent a lot of time on the sidelines and benches watching, sort of like Ray Davies in Waterloo Sunset minus both Terry and Julie. 

I never understand why people congratulate you on your birthday. In my case, my Mom deserves the credit as she did all the work (not forgetting Dad's contribution). As the oldest of six, I was no day at the beach though I recall spending a lot of time at Gramma and Grampy's bungalow in Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey. I guess Salt Life forever, no matter what. 

I may not have as much to show for seventy-two years here on the ant farm as others I suspect, but am grateful for the love of my life, my wife, Sigrid, and our two brilliant children, Patrick and Michelle, and their spouses, Jena and Kyle. 

I like to think I have enough. Be it health, happiness, money, or possessions. I've become rather fond of a quote from Frank Lloyd Wright that I really wish I had thought of first, or last: "The longer I live, the more beautiful life becomes."
I think he's on to something.

Kyrie Eleison.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Yom Hashoah

Words are real only in an intellectual sense. They are not material of any kind and as such have no shape, size, mass, or structure. As kids...